Rain has finally arrived here in the Bay Area, and it's starting to feel like autumn. I used to hate the rain, but since we've had so little of it, I actually love and appreciate the rain so much more.
Since fall is the season of all things pumpkin (Can I get an "AMEN!"), I decided to make a vegan pumpkin pie smoothie. The secret ingredient to this creamy smoothie is...cauliflower! A friend of mine told me she started putting cauliflower in her smoothies, so I had to try it.
Now, I love green smoothies. A lot. But I'm also a person who eats with her eyes. Pumpkin with a handful of spinach just doesn't sound or look appetizing. However, if you use cauliflower, it preserves the beautiful color of your smoothie while sneaking in those good-for-you veggies! Plus, it doesn't alter the taste whatsoever!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie with Cauliflower
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 medjool dates, pitted and chopped (optional: add 1 more date for added sweetness)
- 1 banana
- 2 scoops vegan protein powder (~44g)
- 3/4 cup chopped raw cauliflower florets (I use the riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's!)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients into your blender.
- Blend ingredients on your "smoothie" setting, or pulse for 30 seconds.
The cauliflower makes it so creamy that this recipe would make an amazing smoothie bowl! Add your favorite toppings like cocoa nibs, hemp seeds, raw pepitas, granola, or banana slices! Yum!